Concurrently, in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s downtown San Diego was expanding and houses were being replaced with wholesale and retail establishments. A number of houses were towed from San Diego to National City, shipped via barge to the Coronado Landing, and towed to various Coronado locations. It is speculated that these houses were available for little or no money to entrepreneurs willing to relocate them.
Robinson obtained three houses in San Diego, moved them to the 900 block of D Avenue and joined them together to make a 12 bedroom lodging establishment. (By examination of floor joists from under the house it has been determined that there were two 2-story “shotgun” houses and one large square 2-story house.) This establishment was named the “Cherokee Lodge” due to the Cherokee roses that were growing wild on the property.
Later the Cherokee Lodge passed to Robinson’s two daughters. The surviving daughter, Olive Robinson sold the Lodge to Harold Humphry in 1958.
Humphry was responsible for saving the Lodge which had been positioned on an unstable “bricks-on-sand” foundation. He and his two sons jacked up the entire structure and formed a solid concrete and concrete block perimeter foundation plus the addition of a basement and other structural supports.
In 1976 the Lodge was sold to Ed Melvin who was a widower with four children. He bought the Lodge as a place for his mother to live in and manage while providing a room for his 6 year old daughter when he traveled. Ed was a Naval Aviator/Aeronautical Engineering Duty Officer and no longer had to go to sea, but did have to travel.
In 1986 Ed married Mary Jane, a clinical psychologist with three children, and together they are owners of the Cherokee Lodge.